At the end of October, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced it was discouraging local Church-sponsored pageants across the United States. At that time, it was announced the Hill Cumorah Pageant would end after the 2020 season, with the Nauvoo Pageant continuing. The continuation of the other five pageants was undetermined at that time.
On December 4, 2018, the statement released through the Church Newsroom was updated and finalized regarding all of the pageants. These are the decisions:
- The Nauvoo Pageant will continue with support from Church headquarters.
- The Mesa Pageant will continue under area leadership in 2021 following the renovation of the Mesa Temple.
- The British Pageant will continue every four years under area leadership. The next pageant will be in 2021.
- The Hill Cumorah Pageant will end in 2020.
- The Manti Pageant will end in 2019.
- The Castle Valley Pageant is discontinued.
- The Clarkston Pageant is discontinued.
This change was made to help members “focus on gospel learning in their homes and to participate in Sabbath worship and the Church’s supporting programs for children, youth, individuals and families.”
Aleah is a graduate of Southern Virginia University, where she studied English, Creative Writing, and Dance. She now works full time as a marketing and product manager, writer, and editor. Aleah served a mission in California and loves baking, Lang Leav poetry, Gaynor Minden pointe shoes, and Bollywood movies.