Each Christmas, the Church hosts hundreds of musical performances on Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah. With the limitations caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, all such performances have been canceled. However, the Church announced Thursday that all members and friends of other faiths are invited to send in video submissions to be a part of multiple virtual performances. This includes the annual Light the World Christmas campaign.
A group or person can submit up to two videos by emailing them to ChristmasatTempleSquare@ChurchofJesusChrist.org. Submissions are open to everyone, including school, community, and religious groups, and friends of all faiths. The following guidelines were given:
- Music selections should be appropriate for a general audience and may include a variety of fun and light-hearted holiday songs as well as inspiring and worshipful Christmas songs. We encourage songs from various cultures and traditions and welcome original songs as well.
- We want to include performances from everyone that we possibly can. Because these performances will be published on a Church website, we ask participants to follow Church dress standards. We ask that clothing be at least knee-length, cover the stomach and shoulders, and not low cut in the front or back. Also, please avoid clothing with brand logos and small patterns.
- Any size group is welcome, from small ensembles to full choirs and instrumental groups. Solo performances will be accepted, but priority will be given to groups and ensembles. Again, please follow COVID-19 restrictions for your location.
- Be creative, we would love to see what you come up with. Choral and vocal ensemble music, instrumental pieces, and music videos are all welcome.
- Videos should be shot horizontal (landscape) in high resolution. They should be delivered in .MP4 or .MOV format.
- No speaking or introduction of your piece is needed.
All submissions will receive a notification of their airing dates and times. A full schedule of performances will be available and updated on the Church’s websites as the Christmas season approaches.