This year, participating in the Church’s Light the World initiative will look different. There won’t be long lines at the Giving Machines and getting together to serve will be limited due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, if there was ever a time when we needed to light the world, it’s 2020. That’s why we’ve come up with this list of 25 easy and safe ways to serve others and invite the true spirit of the season in your celebrations. What else would you add to this list?
1. Send a Christmas card.
2. Record yourself or your family singing a Christmas song and share it online.
3. Donate money to your favorite charity.
4. Offer to pick up groceries for someone at risk.
5. Send one of these Light the World ornaments to someone.
6. Pray for those you minister to by name.
7. Learn more about mental health and how to support those who suffer.
8. Donate new or used books to your local school system.
9. Put away your phone for an entire Sabbath day.
10. Ask your local missionaries if they can teach your family a special message online.
11. Help someone update and/or design their resume, especially if they lost their job this year.
12. Give a sincere compliment to someone.
13. Shovel snow for others.
14. Do household chores without being asked.
15. Donate blood or plasma.
16. Leave a big tip if you visit a restaurant or pick up food.
17. Ask your Bishop and Relief Society President if there is a family who could use your help.
18. Support a small business by making a purchase.
19. Deliver one of these free printables to children in your ward.
20. Decorate a tree outside your home for others to enjoy.
21. Gift someone a festive decoration, especially if they will be spending the holidays alone.
22. Organize a multi-car drive to see local Christmas lights.
23. Deliver Christmas cookies on someone’s doorstep along with the recipe and an empty tin so they can pass it along.
24. Pray to know who in your circle needs your help and how you can help them.
25. Use the hashtag #LightTheWorld on social media.
You can learn more about the Light the World initiative here, including a free 25-day advent calendar.