This FHE lesson on spiritual gifts teaches us how to recognize our own spiritual gifts and how we can develop them to worship and serve Jesus Christ.
And again, I exhort you, my brethren, that ye deny not the gifts of God, for they are many; and they come from the same God. And there are different ways that these gifts are administered; but it is the same God who worketh all in all; and they are given by the manifestations of the Spirit of God unto men, to profit them.
1. When Christ was on the earth,
He promised he would send
The Holy Ghost to comfort us,
Our true, eternal friend.
The Holy Spirit whispers
With a still small voice.
He testifies of God and Christ
And makes our hearts rejoice.
2. And when we are confirmed
By sacred priesthood pow’r,
The Holy Ghost is giv’n to us
To guide us ev’ry hour.
Oh, may I always listen
To that still small voice.
And with his light I’ll do what’s right
Each time I make a choice.
Begin by asking: What is one of the best gifts you have ever gotten?
Read aloud: Did you know Heavenly Father has given us each special spiritual gifts? Spiritual gifts are blessing or abilities we receive through the Holy Ghost. Some examples of spiritual gifts are:
- Showing love
- Having faith in Jesus
- Teach with the Spirit
- Understand the scriptures
We all have different spiritual gifts and they are not always easy to see.
Ask: Why do you think it is hard to see our own spiritual gifts?
Share a personal experience about a spiritual gift you didn’t realize you had or you needed help discovering.
Read aloud: One of the ways we can notice and develop our spiritual gifts is by serving others. In fact, Heavenly Father often gives us spiritual gifts so we can do what he would do if he were here. He wants us to be his hands upon the earth.
Ask: How can we develop our spiritual gifts?
Finish the lesson by having the children fill out this sheet from the Friend magazine. Bear your testimony.
FOR TEENS & ADULTS
Begin the lesson by watching this video. Ask everyone to think about what this video teaches us about how we can develop spiritual gifts.
Read aloud: The Church teaches us that, “Spiritual gifts are blessings or abilities given by God to His children through the power of the Holy Ghost. Gifts of the Spirit are given to bless and benefit those who love the Lord and seek to keep His commandments.”
We all have spiritual gifts to help us grow closer to Jesus Christ and serve others. Heavenly Father has asked us to seek out the best gifts and to develop those innate gifts he has given us.
Read through Moroni 10:8-18 and ask everyone to ponder on what their spiritual gifts may be.
Ask: What are some ways you have recognized your own spiritual gifts?
Read aloud: We can develop our spiritual gifts. Consider this quote from Elder John C. Pingree:
So how do we come to know our gifts? We can reference our patriarchal blessing, ask those who know us best, and personally identify what we are naturally good at and enjoy. Most important, we can ask God. As we discover our gifts, we have a responsibility to develop them.
Ask: How can we develop our spiritual gifts?
Finish the lesson by bearing your testimony and sharing any personal, relevant experiences.
FOR SINGLE STUDY
Read through “There Are Many Gifts” from Elder Marvin J. Ashton. Write down in your journal what spiritual gifts resonated with you. Make a plan on how you would like to develop them.
1 12-oz bag white chocolate chips
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2-3 cups mini pretzels
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, for drizzling OR
2 TBSP chocolate jimmies, for sprinkling
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place white chocolate chips in a glass or ceramic bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Add 1/3 cup peanut butter to the bowl and microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Drop 1 mini pretzel at a time into peanut butter mixture. Turn to coat. You can dip using a fork, but I prefer using a chocolate dipping fork. Makes it even easier! Tap fork on the side of the bowl to help excess drip off. Transfer coated pretzel to the parchment lined pan.
- Repeat process with remaining pretzels. Let cool on pan until set.
- Place semi-sweet chocolate chips in a sandwich sized bag. Microwave for 1 minute. Cut a corner of the bag and drizzle melted chocolate on pretzels. Let cool to set.(Or, as an alternative, online semi-sweet chocolate drizzle & sprinkle with chocolate jimmies instead.)
- Store in an airtight container on the countertop & try to not eat them all at once!
(Courtesy of butterwithasideofbread.com)
You will need newspapers or magazines for this fun and easy activity. You will also need tape. Split into groups or work individually. The goal is for everyone to build the highest, free-standing tower they can in a set amount of time. We suggest five minutes but set a time that works for you and your group.