The Stripling Warriors were valiant disciples of Christ who experienced miracles because of their faith. This Book of Mormon FHE lesson helps us realize we can be like the Stripling Warriors and discusses how we can build our faith in Jesus Christ.
And now, theirwas astonishing to our whole army, yea, that they should be spared while there was a thousand of our brethren who were slain. And we do justly ascribe it to the miraculous of God, because of their exceeding in that which they had been taught to believe—that there was a just God, and whosoever did not doubt, that they should be preserved by his marvelous power.
1. We have been born, as Nephi of old,
To goodly parents who love the Lord.
We have been taught, and we understand,
That we must do as the Lord commands.
We are as the army of Helaman.
We have been taught in our youth.
And we will be the Lord’s missionaries
To bring the world his truth.
2. We have been saved for these latter days
To build the kingdom in righteous ways.
We hear the words our prophet declares:
“Let each who’s worthy go forth and share.”
3. We know his plan, and we will prepare,
Increase our knowledge through study and prayer.
Daily we’ll learn until we are called
To take the gospel to all the world.
Begin the lesson by acting out the following scenes from the Book of Mormon. Have all of the children be a stripling warrior and have them pretend others are involved.
- The Stripling Warriors are standing strong protecting their city.
- The Stripling Warriors say, “We have faith in God and will obey Him.”
- The Stripling Warriors notice the Lamanties are coming to battle them!
- The Stripling Warriors fight valiantly.
- One by one, tell each child they have been wounded. Have them lay on the ground and be quiet and still.
- Have an adult act as Helaman. He comes upon all his Stripling Warriors and is sad they are all hurt. But, one by one they get up and say they are ok.
- Helaman testifies God has protected them!
Have everyone sit down and begin the next portion of the lesson.
Read aloud: In the Book of Mormon, the Stripling Warriors were protected by God. The scriptures tell us they were protected because they had “exceeding faith” and they “did not doubt.”
Ask: What does it mean to have exceeding faith?
Read aloud: Exceeding means great, tremendous, or immense. The Stripling Warriors had great faith, tremendous faith. When we have this kind of faith, miracles can happen.
Share a time when having faith blessed your life. You can also talk about any stories in your family history that demonstrate great faith and blessings.
Ask: Have you ever had a time when you tried to show faith to God? What happened?
Finish the lesson by discussing as a family or group how the children can make their faith stronger. Bear your testimony.
FOR TEENS & ADULTS
Begin the lesson by giving a brief summary of who the Stripling Warriors were and then have a discussion around the following question: What attributes would a stripling warrior have today? Consider writing down the attributes on a board where everyone can see them.
Read aloud: When we read the story of the Stripling Warriors, we may not feel like we can relate to them. They were valiant warriors who fought in wars and experienced miracles. However, as we take a closer look at who the Stripling Warriors were, we will find we are not as different as we think.
Read Alma 57:20-27 together. Ask everyone to look for the attributes and characteristics of the Stripling Warriors to compare with the list you previously made.
Read aloud: We can embody all of the attributes of the Stripling Warriors. We can be firm and undaunted in the face of trials. We can do all we can to obey the word of God with exactness. We can put our trust in God continually. As we do these things, we will experience the blessings of God and even miracles.
Ask: Is there a time in your life when faith led to a blessing?
Finish the lesson by discussing ways you can build your faith in Christ if it doesn’t seem as strong. Bear your testimony.
-1 bag Stacy’s Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips
-1 c. chocolate chips
-1.5 c. mini marshmallows
-¼ c. chocolate chips
-1 tsp oil
1. Fill a 10″ oven-safe skillet or pan with the bag of pita chips. Top with 1 c. chocolate chips then marshmallows. Place in oven and bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until marshmallows are golden.
2. Meanwhile, place ¼ c. chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl with the oil (I used coconut) and microwave in 15-second increments until completely melted. Be sure to stir after each increment, so to be sure not to burn the chocolate. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the nachos and enjoy your indoor 10-minute s’mores!
(Courtesy of Krafted Koch)
Stripling Warriors Video
Watch the following video together as a family.
Art by Joseph Brickey