…if ye are prepared ye shall not fear.
1. Today, while the sun shines, work with a will;
Today all your duties with patience fulfill.
Today, while the birds sing, harbor no care;
Call life a good gift; call the world fair.
Today, today, work with a will;
Today, today, your duties fulfill.
Today, today, work while you may;
Prepare for tomorrow by working today.
2. Today seek the treasure better than gold,
The peace and the joy that are found in the fold.
Today seek the gems that shine in the heart;
While here we labor, choose the better part.
3. Today seek for goodness, virtue, and truth,
As crown of your life and the grace of your youth.
Today, while the heart beats, live to be true,
Constant and faithful all the way through.
*Suitable for All Ages*
Read aloud: Emergency preparedness is a gospel principle. The leaders of the Church have instructed us to be ready for any type of disaster or accident. These include fires, floods, tornadoes, power outages, car accidents, job loss, and even the loss of a family member. Emergency preparedness is about taking responsibility for our lives and our families.
However, preparing for all of these emergencies, and more, can seem really complicated. Today, we’re going to talk about one of the simplest and best pieces of advice we can use.
It is: Do one thing today.
If we just do one small thing a day, we will soon find we are much more prepared!
Give these examples of a small thing that could be completed in a day:
- Write down a list of supplies for 72-hour kits
- Check all the smoke alarm batteries in the house
- Stop by the store and buy one can of food
- Make and eat a meal with food storage food as practice
Ask: What are some other simple ways we can work on our emergency preparedness?
Watch this video:
Finish by bearing your testimony of emergency preparedness. (For more resources, check out this article: 5 Things I Wished I’d Known as an E-Prep Newbie)
Master the skills of emergency first-aid, creating an evacuation plan, and building an adequate food storage supply. Use this practical guide to minimize the chaos of any emergency and have peace of mind. Get it here.
-Pint of fresh strawberries
1. Pre-heat your over to 200 degrees F. Cut the green leafy parts off the strawberries and then cut them in half.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Lay each strawberry curvy-side down onto the cookie sheet. Try to leave as much space as you can between each berry.
3. Let the strawberries bake in the oven for 2 hours on one side. Take the pan out and flip the strawberries over. Cook for another 2 hours. Make sure to keep an eye on your berries. Each oven is different and may have different results.
4. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
(Courtesy of This Beautiful Day Blog)
50-Hour Candle Craft
This fun and simple activity will make candles perfect for any emergency essential kit. You’ll just need some basic materials found at a craft store. You’ll need: soy wax flakes, canning jars, and candle wicks and tabs. To view the full instructions, click here.