20 – And when the Jews heard these things they were angry with him; yea, even as with the prophets of old, whom they had castout, and stoned, and slain; and they also sought his life, that they might take it away. But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.
1. I feel my Savior’s love
In all the world around me.
His Spirit warms my soul
Through ev’rything I see.
2. I feel my Savior’s love;
Its gentleness enfolds me,
And when I kneel to pray,
My heart is filled with peace.
3. I feel my Savior’s love
And know that he will bless me.
I offer him my heart;
My shepherd he will be.
4. I’ll share my Savior’s love
By serving others freely.
In serving I am blessed.
In giving I receive.
He knows I will follow him,
Give all my life to him.
I feel my Savior’s love,
The love he freely gives me.
1. Tender mercies of the Lord
Come in quiet ways,
Not by mere coincidence,
But by heaven’s grace.
As we choose to follow Him
With full heart and soul,
We become His chosen ones
And tender mercies flow.
2. Tender mercies of the Lord
Come in times of need.
Gifts of faith and confidence
Fill us as we plead.
Words of guidance, hope, and peace
Help us feel God’s love.
By our faith, His mercies come
Like manna from above.
3. Tender mercies of the Lord
Come as we repent.
Sweet forgiveness, peace of mind
Help us to discern.
Blessings sweet and personal
For which our spirits yearn.
4. Tender mercies of the Lord
Comfort us and guide.
In His time and in His way,
We receive His light.
As we yield our will to His,
Blessings freely flow.
We partake of love divine
Thru mercies He bestows.
*For Younger Children* Watch the video clip of Elder Bednar’s talk on Tender Mercies. Discuss the key points. Testify of the tender mercies in your life.
Read the following story with them:
Warning in the Night
Lorenzo Snow, the fifth President of the Church, had many frightening experiences as a young man while serving as a missionary.
While preaching the gospel in Ohio, Lorenzo had a dream one night in which he saw an angry mob attacking him in a schoolhouse. He awoke frightened and prayed for the Lord to protect him as he preached the gospel.
Later that same day, two well-dressed men came to Lorenzo and asked him to come to a schoolhouse where a crowd was waiting to hear him preach. Remembering the dream, Lorenzo refused to come. The men tried harder and harder to get him to come, but Lorenzo would not. The men finally left, shouting angry words at him. Lorenzo soon found out that they weren’t really wanting to hear him preach. Instead, they and a group of other men were waiting to attack Lorenzo at the schoolhouse.
Another time, while serving a mission in Kentucky, Lorenzo was warming himself by a fire one evening at the end of a church meeting. An unfriendly man standing beside him (who was part of a gang waiting to attack him) accidentally bumped against Lorenzo and felt his scriptures in the pocket of his jacket. The scriptures were a gift from Joseph Smith, Sr., father of the Prophet Joseph Smith. However, thinking the object in Lorenzo’s jacket was a gun, the man immediately left without causing a fight. Lorenzo said a prayer of thanksgiving to the Lord for taking care of him while he preached the gospel.
Print off the worksheets from the link below and have each member of the family write down the special blessings that they have received. This will help children recognize them and more easily understand what a tender mercy is.
Testify of the tender mercies in your life.
*For Teenagers or Adults* Read the talk “The Tender Mercies of the Lord”, from April 2005 General Conference. Discuss the blessings you have seen in your life. Testify of the tender mercies in your life.
The same video and worksheets can be used for additional material.
Testify of the tender mercies in your life.
Banana Split Ice-Cream Cake and Melt-in-Your-Mouth Melon
Banana Split Ice-Cream
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted, plus 1/4 cup butter
4 to 5 medium bananas, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
1-1/2 quarts strawberry ice cream, softened
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) container nondairy whipped topping
1. In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and the melted butter. Set aside 1/2 cup of the mixture, then press the remainder into the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch pan.
2. Place the bananas in a single layer over the crust. Spread the softened ice cream on top and smooth. Sprinkle the nuts on the ice cream, then cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the chocolate chips and the remaining 1/4 cup butter and stir until smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar and evaporated milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until slightly thickened and smooth, about 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Cool the mixture, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the mixture over the ice cream and freeze until firm, about 45 minutes.
4. Spread the whipped topping over the chocolate layer and sprinkle with the reserved crumbs. Freeze for at least 3-1/2 hours. Remove the dish from the freezer 10 to 20 minutes before slicing. Serves 18.
1. Halve the honeydew, discard the seeds, and chill it overnight in the fridge.
2. The next day, put the halves in the freezer for 15 minutes, pull them out, and pack them with sorbet, gently evening off the top.
3. Using a chilled knife, slice each half into halves again (make sure the melon is sorbet side up).
4. Finally, insert a row of chocolate chip seeds and serve immediately.
(Recipes taken from www.familyfun.go)
1- Freezing-Water Tag (Three or more players)
In this icy take on traditional tag, each player is given a spray bottle filled with ice water, and hand tagging is replaced with a cool squirt. When a player is misted, he must freeze, but he can squirt others still in play. The last player to remain unfrozen wins.
2- Beach Towel Toss (Four or more players)
Make several water balloons. Divide players into teams of two and provide each team with a large towel. Holding their towel at the corners and standing six feet apart, each team must use the towel to toss a balloon back and forth with another team. After a successful toss, have the teams move farther apart. Play continues until the balloon breaks.