This LDS object lesson on unity demonstrates how we may look different on the outside, but at the core, we are all children of God. It is especially perfect for fall when there are a lot of fresh apples available!
- 6 apples of different varieties
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- pumpkin pie spice to taste
Same at the Core: Teach the Object Lesson on Unity
Begin by having everyone examine the apples and discuss how they are different. They may be different colors, shapes or sizes. Cut the apples apart and discuss how they are the same on the inside.
As children of God, we are all different. We look different, we like different things, and we come from different backgrounds and life experiences. However, at our core, we are all children of God. We all have the same divine pedigree and the same chance to return to God. God wants us to work together to build his kingdom on the earth. We need to work together in unity as followers of Jesus Christ to minister to all of God’s children.
When we work together in unity, miracles can happen. Jesus Christ said, “Be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.” (Doctrine & Covenants 38:27)
Homemade Applesauce Recipe
This object lesson on unit takes the form of a simple homemade applesauce recipe. If time permits, make it together. If not, make the applesauce ahead of time and get a few extra apples to examine and cut open.
- Peel and core 6 apples of different varieties then cut into small chunks. We used Gala, Granny Smith, and Honeycrisp apples.
- In a saucepan, heat apples, water, sugar, the cinnamon stick, and as much pumpkin pie spice as you’d like over medium to medium-high heat. All spices and sugar are optional.
- Stir occasionally until water is reduced and apples are extremely tender.
- Mash with a potato masher for chunky applesauce or use a hand-mixer/food processor for smooth applesauce.
- Serve warm or allow to cool completely. Store in an air-tight jar in the fridge.
This recipe makes approximately 3 heaping cups of applesauce. Double the recipe if needed.