This list was originally published by Jonathan Kland on LDSLiving.com. Below is an excerpt.
Columbus Branch Chapel
The members of the Columbus Ohio Branch purchased a house and lot in March of 1929 with the intent of building a new meetinghouse. By July, the lot was cleared and the construction of the chapel began, but they had very few provisions to build with.
They found out that the nearby White Cross Hospital was being razed, so members worked on the demolition crew of that building in exchange for stone for their little chapel. It was dedicated in 1930 by President Heber J. Grant, only seven months after construction had begun. For 30 years, this small chapel was a home away from home for numerous students and servicemen stationed in the area. For over 20 years, it held the distinction of being the only chapel built by the Church in the state of Ohio since the Saints left Kirtland in the early 19th century. The building was later sold and is now the St. Sophia Orthodox Cathedral, which provides daily meals to those in need.
Aleah is a graduate of Southern Virginia University, where she studied English, Creative Writing, and Dance. She now works full time as a marketing and product manager, writer, and editor. Aleah served a mission in California and loves baking, Lang Leav poetry, Gaynor Minden pointe shoes, and Bollywood movies.