The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the following information regarding Hurricane Harvey and members of the Church in Texas:
- All missionaries are safe, though several missions have been affected. Significant precautions were taken before Hurricane Harvey’s arrival to help missionaries remain safe. Each companionship gathered enough food and water to shelter for several days. Some missionaries were moved out of areas where the greatest potential for flooding existed. Several companionships are in flooded areas, but are well and are in contact with their mission presidents. As flooding subsides and cleanup efforts begin, missionaries will be engaged in helping the communities where they serve. As is customary in times of crisis, mission presidents have asked missionaries to contact their families by email to let them know they’re safe, and have provided updates to families, as possible, through the weekend.
- The Texas Houston Temple is surrounded by water, but at this point has not flooded. One of the adjoining buildings has taken on some water. The temple closed on Saturday following the 11:00 a.m. session, and it’s unknown when the temple will reopen.
- Several local chapels have experienced water damage, and many worship services were cancelled on Sunday. As required, our buildings may be used as shelters or to stage relief and cleanup supplies, as determined by local leaders. Local leaders are working to identify the needs of those in their congregations and communities, and to care for those in need.
- The Church on Friday began sending water, hygiene and cleanup kits to a regional bishop’s storehouse near Houston. These supplies will be offered to any who are in need. We will continue to monitor the situation including the needs for additional supplies, resources and volunteers.
- The Church partners regularly with other aid organizations in such situations. We will continue to work with community partners to assess and address needs following this disaster.
- Church leaders, including President Russell M. Nelson (who was in Houston last year and met with Mayor Sylvester Turner), have reached out to offer messages of encouragement and to pledge our willingness to help in the recovery and cleanup efforts.
- We are praying for the people of Texas and invite others to join us in those prayers. Anyone wishing to provide support for our efforts to aid to those in Texas is encouraged to make a donation to the Church’s Humanitarian Fund, which can be found here.
Check back for more updates.
Photo courtesy of Nikilie Osbourne King