Thanks to members of the church worldwide and LDSChurchTemples.com for providing these updates. Please Note: We report all information we are given. It is possible that progress has been made on temples not included in this article that we have not been made aware of. If you have updates (including pictures or video) about a temple near you, feel free to send it to calledtoshare (at) ldsdaily.com.
Enclosing the Tennessee Temple
Sheets of plywood and a mold-resistant sheathing now enclose the exterior of the Memphis Tennessee Temple. Crews have framed out windows opening in the steeple and are continuing to frame pilasters along exterior walls.
Tower Preparations in South Africa
Big changes are coming to the Durban South Africa Temple site. Crews are preparing to lift more wall panels into place and to build a Coptic-style tower over the temple’s entrance. More curbing is being poured around the temple grounds. Inside the structure, forms have been moved away from the newly standing baptismal font.
Progress Update from DRC
Crews are working on placing shingles atop the roof of the Kinshasa Democratic Republic of the Congo Temple. A concrete staircase, which will connect the temple and meetinghouse, is under construction. Many workers are stationed inside the temple, helping to perfect the interior.
Tokyo Annex to be Replaced
The Tokyo Japan Temple has been closed since late September 2017 for extensive renovations. A distinct line along the site’s north side shows where the temple and annex building once met. Once demolition is complete, crews will begin constructing a new annex building. Renovations are also well underway inside the temple.
A Visit to Rome
In a recent Facebook post, Elder Dale G. Renlund shared a photo of himself and his wife, Ruth, at the Rome Italy Temple site. The couple was photographed on the temple grounds and inside the visitors’ center. Elder Renlund noted that the temple “fits beautifully in the city of Rome.” View his full post here.
Architectural Elements Added in North Carolina
Crews at the Raleigh North Carolina Temple site are working on adding architectural elements to exterior walls of the building. These elements will reshape the building’s shape as part of the extensive renovation project. The former entrance canopy is being converted into a foyer.
New Temple Presidents Called
Six new temple presidents and their wives have accepted the call to serve. Short biographies follow. All six couples will begin serving later this year.
- Jose Trinidad Aguilar & Nenita Garcia Basallaje Aguilar – Called to serve in the Cebu City Philippines Temple. President Aguilar was born in Manila, Philippines. He is currently serving as a mission presidency counselor. Sister Aguilar was born in San Nicolas Bacoor, Philippines. She has held calling in stake and ward Relief Society presidencies and as a self-reliance facilitator.
- Lloyd S. Baird & Jana Andrews Baird – Called to serve in the Boston Massachusetts Temple. President Baird was born in Logan, Utah. He is currently serving as a sealer in the Boston Massachusetts Temple and also holds a job as visiting professor. Sister Baird was born in Gainesville, Florida. She is a stake Relief Society president and temple ordinance worker.
- Juan de Díos Bonifacio Fajardo Loranca & Reyna Romero Gutiérrez de Fajardo – Called to serve in the Colonia Juárez Chihuahua Mexico Temple. President Loranca was born in Mexico City, Mexico. He is a retired chemistry, mathematics, and physics teacher and is currently serving as a ward clerk. Sister Fajardo was also born in Mexico City. She is currently a Sunday School teacher and has held callings in the Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary.
- Randall Aagard Gormley & Laurie Greenwood Gormley – Called to serve in the Billings Montana Temple. President Gormley was born in Basin, Wyoming. He is a cattle rancher and farmer who is currently serving as his ward’s Young Men president. Sister Gormley was born in Murray, Utah. She has served as ward Young Women and Primary president, temple ordinance worker, and seminary teacher.
- Daniel Williams Jones & Barbara Gay Reiter Jones – Called to serve in the Houston Texas Temple. President Jones was born in Santa Monica, California. He is a retired partner at Deloitte & Touche, Texas; he is an Area Seventy. Sister Jones was born in Salt Lake City, Utah. She is a stake Primary presidency counselor and temple ordinance worker.
- Richard Harvey Osmotherly & Anne-Marie Mauger Osmotherly – Called to serve in the Sydney Australia Temple. President Osmotherly was born in Wagga Wagga, New South Wales. He is a retired real estate manager for the LDS Church; he is currently serving as a temple sealer. Sister Osmotherly was born in Adelaide, South Australia. She is a Primary teacher and temple ordinance worker.
One-Year Anniversary Video
May 2018 marks the one-year anniversary of the dedication of the Paris France Temple. A beautiful new video presentation takes viewers on a virtual tour of the interior and exterior of this stunning House of the Lord. The video was created by Daniel Smith. Watch it below.
Natalie is a graduate of Brigham Young Unversity, where she studied Communications and Editing. She is passionate about the Northern California coast, reading biographies, and the Oxford comma.