Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
1. I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
2. I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along th’unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
3. And in despair I bowed my head:
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”
4. Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men.”
5. Till, ringing, singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!
*Suitable for All Ages*
Begin by watching this video:
Read aloud: Jesus Christ has invited us to follow his example and share his light with the world. There is no better time of year to do this than Christmas. There is a special spirit about the Christmas season. It is a time when we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. However, we often get caught up in the worldly aspect of Christmas and we forget to celebrate Christ as we should.
Ask: What distracts us from focusing on Christ as Christmas? How we can we remember the reason for the season?
Read aloud: This year, the Church is inviting everyone to spread the joy of Christ by serving as Christ would serve. For the 25 days of Christmas, there are 25 different ways we can be a light to the world by following Christ’s example. There is a different idea for every day!
Watch the following videos to help explain the idea:
Finish the lesson by bearing your testimony. Finish with the activity below!
-1 box Brownie Mix
-1 tub white vanilla icing
-green food colouring
-small round sprinkles
-small star sprinkles
- Line an 8″x8″ baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Prepare the brownie mix according to the package directions and bake as directed.
- Allow brownies to completely cool, approximately 1.5 hours.
- Remove the brownies from the pan, and cut into triangles. (Cut in three rows, then cut in alternating diagonals, as in the photo shown above).
- Unwrap the candy canes, and use a sharp knife to gently cut/break the candy canes into 1.5″ long pieces.
- Press the sharper end of the candy cane into the bottom of the brownie triangles.
- Spoon out approximately ½ of the tub of icing into a bowl.
- Add green food colouring until you’re happy with the colour.
- Spoon the green icing into a zip lock bag.
- Seal the bag and cut off a small corner of the bag with sharp scissors.
- Starting at the top of the brownie triangles, gently squeeze out the icing in a curvy zigzag as you go down the tree.
- Add your favourite sprinkles and a small star sprinkle at the top.
(Courtesy of One Little Project)
In 25 Ways, Over 25 Days Activity
Give everyone a piece of paper. For older children or groups, let them use computers and mobile devices. Join together as a family for younger children. Go to this link at Mormon.org to see all the 25 ways you can serve like Jesus this Christmas season. Read through each one and have everyone right down which ones sound interesting to them. Then, eitehr gather together or let them watch the video alone for all the ones they chose. Go through the ideas listed on that page. Give everyone time to ponder and write down some ideas what they can do to serve like Christ. Come back together and discuss.
Aleah is a graduate of Southern Virginia University, where she studied English, Creative Writing, and Dance. She now works full time as a marketing and product manager, writer, and editor. Aleah served a mission in California and loves baking, Lang Leav poetry, Gaynor Minden pointe shoes, and Bollywood movies.